I saw this recipe on Buzzfeed, their recipe wasn’t gluten-free, and I wanted to see if I could make them taste nice as a gluten-free alternative. Many of mine fell apart because I was impatient and didn’t wait to full hour to freeze them. I just wanted mozzarella onion rings so badly! So, I would advise to keep them in the freezer for the full hour. I’d also only take them out one at a time, as I took so long to dip them that some of them had thawed. Oops!
We had these as a snack, but they could easily become a side dish to your main meal. We’re definitely having these again!
- 256g of gluten-free flour – I used Doves Farm flour
- 5 eggs
- 256g of gluten-free breadcrumbs – I used these
- Packet of mozzarella squares
- 2 white onions
- Peel and cut onions into 1-centimeter rings, then separate the rings.
- Slice the mozzarella into 4 even strips, and place a smaller onion ring in the center of a larger one. Fill the gap between the rings with strips of mozzarella. Repeat with remaining onion rings and freeze them for 1 hour.
- Place the flour, eggs, and bread crumbs into three separate bowls. Dip each prepared ring into the flour, then the egg, then the breadcrumbs, then back into the egg, and one last time into the bread crumbs. Repeat with the remaining onion rings.
- Heat the oil in a deep wok over high heat. Fry the rings until golden brown (only a few minutes), being careful not to fry them for too long as the cheese may ooze out completely.
- Drain on a paper towel, then serve with marinara sauce.