Never made it, never even had it I don’t think? But I thought, it’s eggs, some bread and a sauce, it really can’t be that hard…I messed up on my timings badly with this one and I dropped eggs on the floor and all kinds in a panic. It was worth the hassle though. Also, it doesn’t matter what gluten-free breakfast muffins you use, the sauce is strong so you can’t really taste the bread – bonus!
This serves two, enjoy!
- 2 egg yolks
- 100g butter
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp mustard (check it’s gluten-free)
- sprinkle of cayenne pepper (optional)
- 2 eggs to poach
- handful of spinach
- 1 English breakfast muffin cut in half (I used the Genius ones here)
- Melt your butter and transfer to a jug (you need a spout to pour neatly)
- Poach your eggs for around 4 minutes with a drop of white wine vinegar to help the yolk and the white to bind
- Whilst your eggs are poaching, bring another pan of water to simmer and place a bowl on top with the egg yolks, mustard and lemon juice to the bowl
- Whisk together well
- Get your jug of butter and add a little at a time to the yolk mixture, whisk well between each addition
- Toast your breakfast muffins and place on plate and top with a little spinach, your poached egg and pour your sauce on top!
If you didn’t drop any eggs, then bravo. I’d ran out of white wine vinegar so my eggs separated, too. It wasn’t the relaxing Sunday morning I’d hoped for…