Now that I am gluten-free, I will always choose rice over pasta – for obvious reasons. If you’re not sure what I’m talking about, you haven’t tried some of the gluten-free pasta products out there. I’ve always loved egg fried rice so mixing it up a little with some flavour it can become the perfect side dish. Although, after I made this I just ate the whole lot and I’m not even sorry because it tasted so good. Also, it wasn’t just the small little bowl I ate which features in the picture above, I’m talking a heaped full dinner plate. What? It’s still two days until the weekend I needed a pick me up.
For this recipe, you will need both a saucepan and a frying pan. This recipe serves two people as side dishes I’d say, or, ahem, one greedy person portion.
- 125g basmati rice
- Thumb of ginger, grated
- 2 cloves of garlic, crushed
- 1 tbsp sesame oil
- 1 tbsp veg oil
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 red chilli, deseeded and sliced
- 4 spring onions, sliced
- 2 tbsp of gluten-free soy sauce
- 1 large pinch of black pepper
- Boil the rice according to packet instructions (10-12 mins usually)
- When the rice is almost boiled, fry your garlic, ginger and chillis in the sesame and veg oil – literally for a minute, do not burn the garlic it will be disgusting
- Drain your rice and add to your frying pan with your ginger mixture, stir well
- Turn the heat up to medium and add your beaten eggs, mix around until the egg is all cooked and not gooey – this should only be about 3 minutes
- Once your egg is all cooked and mixed in, add your large pinch of pepper and your soy sauce
- Just before you serve the dish, add your spring onions for a crunchy texture
- Serve straight away and enjoy! How easy was that?
I use the Kikkoman gluten-free soy sauce, I’ve tried a lot of different ones and I think this tastes the best. You can buy it in pretty much all major supermarkets but I get mine from Sainsbury’s.
Want to receive recipes straight to your inbox? Sign up for my newsletter here!