I’ve been using my ‘Good Without Gluten’ cookbook quite a bit. It’s got some really tasty recipes, so you should definitely think about buying it – I’ve pasted a picture of the cover after the post so you know what you’re looking for!
It can be difficult to find veggie, gluten-free recipes that are tasty but this sandwich is so nice, and I’m not usually an eater of sandwiches…
Prep time – 15 mins
Cooking time 40 mins
- 2 long slices of sweet potato (1 cm thick)
- 2 slices of aubergine (1 cm thick)
- Olive oil
- 3 slices of gluten-free bread – I used the Genius Toastie bread
- 20g cheddar – cut into 2 thin slices
- 1 tablespoon of tapenade (recipe for this is below)
- 100g pitted olives
- 50g sun-dried tomatoes
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil
- 1 tablespoon of lemon juice
Blend all tapenade ingredients together in a mixer and set aside ready to use later. I had quite a bit left over, so I just kept it covered in the fridge and used it over the next three days.
- Preheat oven to 200oC (400OF/Gas 6)
- Place the sweet potato and aubergine slices on a baking tray and drizzle with olive oil. Bake for 25-30 minutes or until soft.
- Lightly toast your bread and spread each slice with the tapenade
- Top one slice of bread with half the sweet potato, half the aubergine and half the cheese. Repeat with the next layer of bread.
- Cut your sandwich in half diagonally and secure each half with a wooden skewer.
- Bake for 6-8 mins until cheese melts
Good Without Gluten cookbook: