I got a great new cookery book as a present for my birthday last week, which is called Good Without Gluten – if you’re gluten free or coeliac you should definitely pick up a copy! I amended this dish as I couldn’t find the right noodles anywhere. The recipe asks for ‘soba noodles’, no where seemed to have them so I picked up some noodles called bakenaked – I’d never heard of them. They went with the dish quite nicely and apparently they’re only 8 calories per serving, so if you’re looking for a healthy meal this could be it!
Preparation time: 20 mins
Cooking time 40 mins
Serves 2 hungry people!
- 1 Knorr chicken stock cube
- 1 tbsp tamari gluten-free soy sauce
- 1 tbsp mirin (rice wine), you’ll find this in the oriental aisle, it’s not with the other vinegar/wines
- 100g shiitake mushrooms
- 200g spinach leaves
- 4 eggs
- 250g barenaked noodles or soba noodles
- 2 spring onions, thinly sliced
- Make the broth by dissolving the Knorr chicken stock cube in 250ml of water. Reduce for 5 mins, then add the tamari and mirin.
- Cook the mushrooms in boiling salted water for about 5 minutes and wilt the spinach in the same pan.
- Cook the noodles in the chicken broth for 4 minutes.
- At the same time as your noodles, poach your 4 eggs for around 4 minutes also.
- Divide the noodles into two bowls.
- Top the bowls with your wilted spinach, mushrooms, spring onions and poached eggs.