The Liverpool Allergy and Free From Show is one of my favourite days of the year. This was my third year attending, last year I did a cookery demonstration for Doves Farm so this year it was a nice change to wander around, taking the time to visit every stall. It’s the perfect place to discover new brands. A lot of the brands don’t supply the mainstream supermarkets, so it’s a good idea to take photos of the stalls or to write down the names of the brands, this way you can find them online when you get home. There are so many brands there so it’s easy to forget whose bread was whose and which beer you want to order a case-load of when you’re home!
Some of my favourite brands there this year included Heck sausages, Isabel’s and Andrew James. Although I’ve tried a few products from Heck and Isabel’s before, I’d never heard of Andrew James. They had marinades, sauces and dried mixes for sale. I bought the curry sauce mix – which tastes exactly like chip shop curry sauce – I also bought a batter mix and a plain cookies mix.
The cookie mix is so simple all you need is 150g of butter and an egg. Straightforward, or what??
500g dry mix
You will also need some cling film.
To make chocolate-chip cookies, simply add a handful of chocolate chips as you mix your dough.
- In a bowl, combine the dry mix and butter with an electric whisk. Keep mixing until it forms breadcrumbs.
- Add the egg and mix until it becomes a dough-like texture.
- Form the dough into a roll that is 2 inches in diameter and wrap in cling film. Leave to chill for 25 mins.
- Unwrap the cling film and slice your dough roll into 2cm rings. (approx. 15)
- Grease your baking tray and lay each cookie down, leaving plenty of space between them. Honestly, they become HUGE. Gently press with your palm onto each cookie to flatten
- Bake in the centre of a pre-heated oven at 200°C/Gas mark 6 (fan 180°C) for 10-12 mins
- Allow them to cool on the baking tray before transferring them to a wire rack.
I lightly dusted mine with cinnamon to fill my house with a nice Christmas smell!